ALU Machined Dog Collar
The dog collar re-designed
The name ALU comes from ALUminum, we chose aluminum for our hardware because of its unbeatable strength to weight ratio. Not only is aluminum strong, but it is also durable, flexible and very light weight (in comparison to other metals), and the best part about aluminum is that it is 100% recyclable with no loss of quality.
ALU is the traditional dog collar re-designed. At the heart of the ALU dog collar is the custom buckle that has been CNC machined out of two solid pieces of aircraft grade aluminum and has been chamfered, glass bead blasted and finished with hard anodized plating. Both pieces come together beautifully and easily with rare earth magnets giving our buckle a whole new level of quality. Off the shelf D-rings and triglides could never match the look of our buckle, given our high standard of quality coupled with our ease of use design, so we decided to custom make those ourselves too. We implemented the same attention to detail into our D-ring and triglide designs as we did with our buckle. Both are machined out of one solid piece of aluminum, respectively; the triglide has custom teeth machined onto the back enabling it to better grab and hold the webbing, and we’ve run a finite element analysis computer simulation (FEA) on the D-ring to ensure quality, performance and safety. After all, these machined dog collars are going on our favorite four legged companions.
We chose cork because it is natural, biodegradable, and completely environmentally friendly. Cork also has waterproof, fire resistant, and mosquito repellent properties making it an ideal material for our dog collars. The extraction method is 100% safe for the tree, and only done once every 9 years, so the tree is not cut, and its surface doesn’t suffer any type of damage. Some of the cork oak trees that are used for harvesting cork are reportedly 400 to 500 years old.
We chose Hemp webbing because Hemp is one of the strongest and most durable of all the natural textile fibers out there, products made from hemp will outlast their competition by many years. Not only is Hemp strong, but it also holds its shape, stretching less than any other natural fiber. This prevents our collars from stretching out or become distorted, and Hemp webbing gets softer the more you use it. Hemp is also naturally resistant to mold and ultraviolet light.
We wanted a thread that was going to be just as strong as the cork and the hemp that we are using in the production of these collars and that’s why we went with a heavy UV-Bonded Polyester thread. This thread’s resistance to UV sunlight, mildew, aging, and abrasion is superior to that of nylon thread. This type of thread is typically used outdoors or in moist areas, like to sew the canvas sails on sailboats, awnings, or the upholstery in convertible cars.
Designed & Made in California
As Featured On
Frequently Asked Questions
Why does the color of my cork collar look different than the one on your website? And how long will the cork last?
Being that cork is an organic material, color variation should be expected, cork has various tonal ranges from golden yellow to nut brown, in addition to color variation cork can show scars or other marks of the tree’s life. And exposure to UV sunlight will also make the cork change in color. These marks and color variations are what make cork a beautiful medium as every mark and color tells a story and gives your dog collar uniqueness. As for how long cork will last, to give you an idea, the library of congress in Washington, DC has had the same cork floors since it was built back in the 1800’s.
Neodymium magnets are a member of the Rare Earth magnet family and are the most powerful permanent magnets in the world, 10x stronger than the strongest ceramic magnets. Rare earth magnets have a high resistance to demagnetization, unlike most other types of magnets, they will not lose their magnetization around other magnets or if dropped, they will only lose their magnetization if heated above their curie temperature, which is 590°F.
No. As a matter of fact many people believe that wearing magnets (magnet therapy) increases oxygen/circulation in the body, which results in higher energy levels in their pet, and helps reduce pain and stiffness/swelling in their joints. Magnets also help pets sleep better and overall improve their immunity and longevity, and speeds up the healing process.
Microchips are hard coded and cannot be affected by magnetic influences; however the magnets could interrupt the reader, reading the microchips (so it’s best to take the collar off prior to reading any microchip).
We have the same size collar on Tesla our 15lb Boston Terrier Mascot, that we do on Renzo our 95lb Chocolate Lab. The collar is adjustable from 13inch neck sizes to 20 inch neck sizes.
We use a UV Weather Resistant bonded polyester thread the kind of thread that is primarily used for upholstery and furnishings that will be subject to UV rays or Sunshine, like sails, awnings, and convertibles. Tesla The Boston loves to lie in the sunshine for hours and hours, & Renzo The Lab likes to dive for sticks in lake water, we wanted a thread that could compete with these two.
We don’t recommend washing the collar in a washing machine, since the machined parts are very hard and could damage your machine. You can however wipe down the cork with soap and a damp cloth.
All the aluminum hardware on our dog collars are hard anodized or clear coated and can be washed with mild soap and water, and will not tarnish. However, the coating can still get scratched by hard or sharp objects.
No. This collar is not a safety or break-away collar, we designed it so that it would stay on even when your dog is pulling while being walked on a leash. MEMA pets recommends taking the ALU machined dog collar off if you are leaving your dog unattended. We’ve heard too many horror stories about dogs hanging or strangling themselves with their own collar and no one was there to help. Thankfully with our ease of use design, taking the collar off and putting the collar back on is easy.
Dog safety is our #1 concern. The magnet in the buckle is simply there to align the two aluminum pieces together, and ensure that they fit into each other easily, even without looking, eliminating human error and contributing to our ease of use design. We have carefully engineered the buckle so that it is mechanically held together, metal to metal. And the harder the dog pulls the greater the clamping force gets, preventing the buckle from coming loose. The buckle design has been tested feverishly on big dogs that love to pull, like Chocolate Labs, American Bulldogs, Boxers, and Great Danes and we’ve never had a single failure. We’ve also done several FEA (finite element analysis) simulations on the buckle and collar as a whole to make sure that the metal doesn’t deform at any amount of force that a pulling dog can create.
What People Are Saying
- "The one thing that stood out was the overall quality and attention to detail in every aspect of the collar. We often see this level of quality in our gear and outdoor products, but rarely in pet products. The ALU perform remarkably well and showed zero hesitation in the magnetic clip. I was also surprised that the clip wasn’t easily opened when I asked my children and a few friends to open the clip."Jason TrufynCo-Founder of LumberJac
- "One of THE coolest collars I have seen! And believe me, I have seen a LOT! My office looks like a pet store!"Lisa TaronThe Pet Blog Lady - Devoted dog mom & Entrepreneur
- "You know we are huge fans of products where form meets function and when use creates design. ALU is a brand after our own hearts. They claim that their main objectives were to incorporate ease of use, quality and longevity into their dog collars. While they did accomplish these goals, they also inadvertently created a beautiful specimen of industrial art."ChrisWriter at Cool Pet Products Digital Publications
- "ALU Collar simplifies putting the collar on your dog because you don’t have to fumble with some clip. This becomes especially frustrating if you’ve got a dog that has wiry and long hair like our dog Snow. The magnetic buckle simply clicks on and off whenever you want. Although it’s a breeze to put on and off the collar, don’t worry, it’s been designed to be insanely difficult for the dog to take off the collar, and we don’t see it happening anytime soon unless Snow develops hands and opposable thumbs."Ray SwaggestWriter & Owner of Swaggest
- "Pierre’s (ALU Collar) looks really handsome against his white fur. I think the cork would look wonderful with any color of dog. Pierre has worn his for a couple of weeks, which includes rolling in the grass and dirt. He has dug holes, chased squirrels, lizards, and Bentley. The collar still looks terrific with no stains or broken thread. I was excited to see the strength of the buckle, as no matter how hard he played, it stayed secure. I love this collar! Mema Pets and their ALU collar have invented the equivalent of a better mousetrap. The beauty and strength of the collar is outstanding."Melissa ClintonBlogger and Author of the Returned book series
- "In a world of plastic and polyester collars, MEMA Pets and their ALU collar are making pet parents take notice! Toss out any preconceived notions you may have because the ALU collar is anything but ordinary (we really can’t say enough good things about it). It beautifully combines form and function to make a stunning and innovative collar."Rachael & KevinPassionate Pet Owners & Bloggers at My Dog Likes