ALUCollar™ with NFC Technology
The dog collar re-designed
The name ALU comes from ALUminum, we chose aluminum for our hardware because of its unbeatable strength to weight ratio. Not only is aluminum strong, but it is also durable, flexible and very light weight (in comparison to other metals), and the best part about aluminum is that it is 100% recyclable with no loss of quality.
ALUCollar™ is the traditional dog collar re-designed. At the heart of the ALUCollar™ is the custom buckle that has been CNC machined out of two solid pieces of aircraft grade aluminum and has been chamfered, glass bead blasted and finished with a variety of plating finishes: hard clear anodized plating, clear anodized plating, and pink anodized plating. Both pieces come together beautifully and easily with rare earth magnets giving our buckle a whole new level of quality. Off the shelf D-rings and triglides could never match the look of our buckle, given our high standard of quality coupled with our ease of use design, so we decided to custom make those ourselves too. We implemented the same attention to detail into our D-ring and triglide designs as we did with our buckle. Both are machined out of one solid piece of aluminum, respectively; the triglide has custom teeth machined onto the back enabling it to better grab and hold the webbing, and we’ve run a finite element analysis computer simulation (FEA) on the D-ring to ensure quality, performance and safety. After all, these custom machined dog collars are going on our favorite four legged companions.
We’re taking the ALUCollar™ to a whole other level of personalization by embedding an NFC tag into the back of the ALUCollar™. The NFC tag in the ALUCollar™ is flexible, waterproof and can record up to 132 characters. NFC stands for Near Field Communication which means that people with a compatible smart phone can simply tap (or get close to) the ALUCollar™ NFC tag and write a unique personalized message or read a free pre-recorded message up to 132 characters.
NFC Technology Built In
Every ALUCollar™ comes with the option to embed an NFC tag into the Collar itself. In the event that your dog escapes, someone who finds your dog can easily access detailed information about your dog that you’ve pre-recorded with their smartphone. Here are some examples:
- My name is Renzo. Please don’t turn me over to the pound, I swore I’d never go back there! Call my owner instead 510-280-9192.
- I am Houdini, I can escape from anywhere. Thank you for finding me and keeping me safe until you can reach my owners at 510-280-9192
- Tesla is on Frontline Flea Medication. Last Application on November 22, 2014. Next Application due on December 22, 2014.
We chose cork because it is natural, biodegradable, and completely environmentally friendly. Cork also has waterproof, fire resistant, and mosquito repellent properties making it an ideal material for our dog collars. The extraction method is 100% safe for the tree, and only done once every 9 years, so the tree is not cut, and its surface doesn’t suffer any type of damage. Some of the cork oak trees that are used for harvesting cork are reportedly 400 to 500 years old.
We chose Hemp webbing because Hemp is one of the strongest and most durable of all the natural textile fibers out there, products made from hemp will outlast their competition by many years. Not only is Hemp strong, but it also holds its shape, stretching less than any other natural fiber. This prevents our collars from stretching out or become distorted, and Hemp webbing gets softer the more you use it. Hemp is also naturally resistant to mold and ultraviolet light.
We wanted a thread that was going to be just as strong as the cork and the hemp that we are using in the production of these collars and that’s why we went with a heavy UV-Bonded Polyester thread. This thread’s resistance to UV sunlight, mildew, aging, and abrasion is superior to that of nylon thread. This type of thread is typically used outdoors or in moist areas, like to sew the canvas sails on sailboats, awnings, or the upholstery in convertible cars.
As Featured On
Designed & Made in California
What People Are Saying
- "In a world of plastic and polyester collars, MEMA Pets and their ALU collar are making pet parents take notice! Toss out any preconceived notions you may have because the ALU collar is anything but ordinary (we really can’t say enough good things about it). It beautifully combines form and function to make a stunning and innovative collar."Rachael & KevinPassionate Pet Owners & Bloggers at My Dog Likes
- "ALU Collar simplifies putting the collar on your dog because you don’t have to fumble with some clip. This becomes especially frustrating if you’ve got a dog that has wiry and long hair like our dog Snow. The magnetic buckle simply clicks on and off whenever you want. Although it’s a breeze to put on and off the collar, don’t worry, it’s been designed to be insanely difficult for the dog to take off the collar, and we don’t see it happening anytime soon unless Snow develops hands and opposable thumbs."Ray SwaggestWriter & Owner of Swaggest
- "Not only does Cooper look super handsome in his new collar, but I’m pretty certain it’s going to last through his rough play for a long time."Bridgette MeinholdFreelance Writer for Inhabitat
- "One of THE coolest collars I have seen! And believe me, I have seen a LOT! My office looks like a pet store!"Lisa TaronThe Pet Blog Lady - Devoted dog mom & Entrepreneur
- "You know we are huge fans of products where form meets function and when use creates design. ALU is a brand after our own hearts. They claim that their main objectives were to incorporate ease of use, quality and longevity into their dog collars. While they did accomplish these goals, they also inadvertently created a beautiful specimen of industrial art."ChrisWriter at Cool Pet Products Digital Publications
- "The one thing that stood out was the overall quality and attention to detail in every aspect of the collar. We often see this level of quality in our gear and outdoor products, but rarely in pet products. The ALU perform remarkably well and showed zero hesitation in the magnetic clip. I was also surprised that the clip wasn’t easily opened when I asked my children and a few friends to open the clip."Jason TrufynCo-Founder of LumberJac