ALU®Collar with NFC Technology
The dog collar re-designed
The name ALU comes from ALUminum, we chose aluminum for our hardware because of its unbeatable strength to weight ratio. Not only is aluminum strong, but it is also durable, flexible and very light weight (in comparison to other metals), and the best part about aluminum is that it is 100% recyclable with no loss of quality. ALU®Collar is the traditional dog collar re-designed.
At the heart of the ALU®Collar is the custom buckle that has been CNC machined out of two solid pieces of aircraft grade aluminum and has been chamfered, glass bead blasted and finished with a variety of plating finishes: hard clear anodized plating, clear anodized plating, and pink anodized plating. Both pieces come together beautifully and easily with rare earth magnets giving our buckle a whole new level of quality.
Off the shelf D-rings and triglides could never match the look of our buckle, given our high standard of quality coupled with our ease of use design, so we decided to custom make those ourselves too. We implemented the same attention to detail into our D-ring and triglide designs as we did with our buckle.
Both are machined out of one solid piece of aluminum, respectively; the triglide has custom teeth machined onto the back enabling it to better grab and hold the webbing, and we’ve run a finite element analysis computer simulation (FEA) on the D-ring to ensure quality, performance and safety. After all, these custom machined dog collars are going on our favorite four legged companions.
We’re taking the ALU®Collar to a whole other level of personalization by embedding an NFC tag into the back of the ALU®Collar. The NFC tag in the ALU®Collar is flexible, waterproof and can record up to 132 characters.
Made in California
We manufacture everything in our shop in Richmond CA. From milling the aluminum to sewing the cork and hemp straps. We try and purchase all of our materials as locally as possible. The only thing that is imported is our cork from Portugal.
NFC Technology Built In
Every ALU®Collar comes with the option to embed an NFC tag into the Collar itself. In the event that your dog escapes, someone who finds your dog can easily access detailed information about your dog that you’ve pre-recorded with their smartphone. Here are some examples:
We chose cork because it is natural, biodegradable, and completely environmentally friendly. Cork also has waterproof, fire resistant, and mosquito repellent properties making it an ideal material for our dog collars. The extraction method is 100% safe for the tree, and only done once every 9 years, so the tree is not cut, and its surface doesn’t suffer any type of damage. Some of the cork oak trees that are used for harvesting cork are reportedly 400 to 500 years old.
We chose Hemp webbing because Hemp is one of the strongest and most durable of all the natural textile fibers out there, products made from hemp will outlast their competition by many years. Not only is Hemp strong, but it also holds its shape, stretching less than any other natural fiber. This prevents our collars from stretching out or become distorted, and Hemp webbing gets softer the more you use it. Hemp is also naturally resistant to mold and ultraviolet light.
Why UV Sail Thread
We wanted a thread that was going to be just as strong as the cork and the hemp that we are using in the production of these collars and that’s why we went with a heavy UV-Bonded Polyester thread. This thread’s resistance to UV sunlight, mildew, aging, and abrasion is superior to that of nylon thread. This type of thread is typically used outdoors or in moist areas, like to sew the canvas sails on sailboats, awnings, or the upholstery in convertible cars.
What Our Users Think
- "One of THE coolest collars I have seen! And believe me, I have seen a LOT!
My office looks like a pet store!"Lisa TaronThe Pet Blog Lady - Devoted dog mom & Entrepreneur
- "Mema Pets and their ALU collar have invented the equivalent of a better mousetrap. The beauty and strength of the collar is outstanding."Melissa ClintonBlogger and Author of the Returned book series
- "My 10 year old, 80lb German Shepard Mika and I love the ALU®Collar made by MEMA Pets. As the dog training expert that I am, I'm constantly hearing about buckles accidentally disconnecting, and I know this will never happen with the ALU®Collar."Vladae the "Russian Dog Wizard" As Seen On ABC, CBS, CNN, Fox, and the Late Show with David Letterman
- "The one thing that stood out was the overall quality and attention to detail in every aspect of the collar. We often see this level of quality in our gear and outdoor products, but rarely in pet products."Jason TrufynCo-Founder of LumberJac
- "Not only does Cooper look super handsome in his new collar, but I’m pretty certain it’s going to last through his rough play for a long time."Bridgette MeinholdFreelance Writer for Inhabitat
- "Although it’s a breeze to put on and off the collar, don’t worry, it’s been designed to be insanely difficult for the dog to take off the collar, and we don’t see it happening anytime soon unless Snow develops hands and opposable thumbs."Ray SwaggestWriter & Owner of Swaggest